Friday, November 13, 2009

Update!!

SO I realized (with my sister's reminder) that I needed to update you on my life the last 2 weeks. 2 weeks ago I told you I was having gallbladder surgery. Mom and Dad came down to be with me, and I think they were more nervous about it than me! I was just glad to have a couple of days off from work, and have a good excuse to not feel guilty about it. We arrived at the hospital, and while walking down the hall we noticed there were several security guards standing by the elevators. When walking past we noticed that the elevator was stuck between levels and they were trying to lift the people that were stuck inside. Wow- that was a boost of confidence for the hospital's operations. That is NOT something you want to see before going under the knife. I checked in at the hospital, and they asked me to take off everything and put on a thin hospital gown.... everything? I can't even wear my own socks? NOPE- they gave me hospital socks. OK, 1st question: Who was last in this hospital gown? And 2nd: What is your cleaning procedure? I never got those answered, but luckily I haven't developed any funky rashes:-) Moving on... I wasn't the least bit nervous about the surgery until the hospital chaplain came in to pray with us. She was a middle-aged lady, who was perfect for the job. She has a very sweet, caring, loving, calming spirit about her, but for some reason I associated the need for a chaplain to the thought that she is praying for me to go to Heaven if I don't make it through the surgery. Obviously I already know where I'm going when I die, but the thought that this is serious settled in. So here I am sitting naked, wishing I had hugged my cat a little longer before leaving that morning, wishing I had worn a nicer pair of underwear to the hospital, wishing I had finished 1 more project at work (because really, if I die whose going to do it?), and thankful that I would die with my legs shaved. After she left though, I regained my composure, decided I wouldn't die today nor wake up during surgery, and that I would be able to buy nicer underwear in the future. Whew... I felt like saying "wonderful sweet lady, your prayer was uplifting, but can you leave, cause you are freaking me out!!!!" Of course I didn't, I just smiled, and said "thank you, that was nice", because I am after all a Southern, Bible college, preacher's granddaughter kinda girl who would hate to make a bad impression on a perfect stranger. After the chaplain, a cute 18 yr old tech came in to hook me up to monitors. My first thought.. "why does he have to be cute?" I am laying here naked, no make up, no product in my hair, glasses, no deodorant... seriously- PLEASE bring in the 60 yr old woman!! Oh well, I convinced myself he was gay, and for some reason that made it easier for him to see my butt crack and flab. Shesh.... at least I know my doctor has a million kids.
Once they hooked me up to drugs, I don't know what happened. I assume they took out my gallbladder. I woke up eventually, they made me pee on my own (they made a big deal out of it too- like I was advanced for being able to pee independently on my own so quickly after surgery... yay- where's my trophy?), I got dressed by myself too (but they didn't make a big deal out of that), and I was wheeled out of the hospital. From check in to check out I was in the hospital for 7 hours. Hey Mr. Doctor Man, it only took 7 hours, you can get to your tee time at the club a whole hour early... you're welcome.
Recovery went well, although I was more sore, tired, and wimpy longer than I thought. I'm not sure why but I assumed I would be sore for a day or two and then be up running triathlons or building skyscrapers, but much to my dismay (or stupidity) it took me a good week to get back to feeling slightly normal. Now, except for occasionally feeling really tired, I feel normal. It was also nice to have my parents here for the weekend to help me recover. My Mom spent most of the time cleaning, organizing, and waiting for me to need anything. Dad made sure I didn't have a spec of dirt and de-bugged my garage. They worked so hard while they were here, but I appreciated it SO much! I also received several flower arrangements which was the best medicine. I love flowers, but you already knew that.
On to more exciting news... I finally bought a new car! My Toyota has run it's race, it's finished it's course, it has been faithful. It's been through 3 moves, a break-in, a slight fender bender, 2 flat tires, 1 dead battery, new brakes, many trips to Virginia and Kentucky, many more trips to Chattanooga for work, 1 trip to Ohio, West Virginia, and Georgia, 12 weddings, and a partridge in a pear tree... (it's close to Christmas and I have it on my mind). I was blessed to have such a reliable, paid off car for 5 years. Oh how I miss thee little Ravy... but OH how I LOOOOVE how my beautiful clean new Cranberry red Jeep Compass flies down the road. I'll have to post pictures later.

Well, I've taken up enough of your time and mostly likely bored you to tears, but life is good. God is overwhelmingly loving to me, and I am at peace. Much has happened and changed in the last several weeks, but God is never-changing- and thank goodness, cause if it were up to me, I'd make a mess of it all!

No comments: