Did you know the word "wait" is used in some form 154 times in the KJV. Although I've read a majority of the verses containing the "W" word I still stink at it. I stopped praying for patience a long time ago because I was told that if you pray for patience, you are going to be put in a situation that will challenge and grow you to have more patience, so really we are praying for a trial to come about to grow my patience. I've decided to pray for tolerance instead. Just Kidding... sort of:)
In all seriousness, I catch myself not wanting to wait. I hate to wait. I hate to wait in line at the grocery store. I hate to wait for the water to boil for my pasta. I hate to wait for my car when it gets an oil change. I hate to wait for my laundry to get dry. I hate waiting for my house to sell. I hate waiting to get married. However waiting is part of life. I've done a good bit of waiting in the last 27years, and some has proven extremely beneficial for me. I waited to get accepted to the right college. I waited to purchase the perfect home. I waited to find the right man to marry. I can totally see in the rear view mirror how each of these experiences have worked out exactly as they were meant to be. I've also seen moments where I haven't waited, and I PAID for it! Thankfully I have a God who has bestowed a LOT of grace on me and made many potentially painful impatient moments less excruciating. I think God allows us to make REALLY stupid mistakes so that His love and grace are even more evident to us. I'm still impatient though, but I also know Romans 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." Not mine... I remind myself of that verse at least once, umm or twice... OK FINE- at least 10 times a day when I hear another friend younger than me is getting married, or someone I used to babysit is having their 2nd child.... I have been blessed in my life and the wait has been SO worth it. God's timing always exceeds our expectations because He's working with a much bigger "clock" than the one that sits on my computer desk. A wise friend of mine posts something he is thankful for everyday- and sometimes they are hugely evident, but most days they are the mundane, almost invisible gifts, but he acknowledges them and I am in turn excited to see what he's seen as a gift from the day. It's encouraged me to take notice of the things that I take for granted. I don't get to see Randy every day like most couples, however it makes me incredibly grateful for him and I don't have the privilege of taking him for granted. It also makes every time we see each other like another first date, because we are excited to be together! It will also heighten the blessing of living near each other that much more special once I move closer. I worry about my house selling/not selling, however it's made me really thankful to have been in that home, pay the mortgage each month, and be able to make it MY beautiful blessing. I am homesick sometimes for my family who lives hours away, but I also LOVE when I hear silly stories from my nephew and talk to my mom about everything and nothing like shoes and wedding flowers. My sister and I probably talk more now than if I actually lived at home, and I've noticed a sweet protective side of my Dad, that I probably wouldn't be able to see if I lived near them. Waiting allows our character to strengthen, and usually in the waiting is when God quietens us to see something He has for us. He wants us to delight in Him and He in us, and it takes waiting and the "not-doing" to take time to see what He's got for us. So start waiting:)
2 comments:
I hate to wait too, for anything. :<} It's in the genes. Love you!
I remember a few years ago mom and I were in a line somewhere and the woman in front of us had a child with her. The lady kept turning around complaining about the lack of service making her have to wait. Mom looked at me and said,"You know what she is teaching that child??" "Impatience"....I have tried harder since then. I love you!
Post a Comment