Friday, March 25, 2011

In the Midst of Madness....

Madness has consumed my life in the last few months. I feel like ever since Randy put the ring on my finger, I've been running a mile a minute (without the weight loss benefits;) We joke that once we're actually married we'll start dating again. Let's recap shall we?...
The beginning of February was filled with excitement with the first few days of being newly engaged and starting to really plan for our life together. I think I was most excited about asking the sweet little girls on Randy's side to be flower girls. (As someone who was a professional flower girl by the young age of 11, I knew the importance of the position). My family celebrated my wonderful Grandaddy's 87th birthday, but later said goodbye to him when he passed away a few weeks later. I've been to several funerals of loved ones, but never someone so close to me. My Grandaddy was such a special person, and in the last few weeks stories I had forgotten have been relived and I am just so blessed that he was a part of my life. I've also done some digging in saved letters and cards from him, and the words he wrote are so special to me now. He really loved the Lord, loved his family, and always encouraged me to have the same spiritual passion. Grandaddy knew the purpose of life- to glorify God and do what we are called to do for the cause of the Cross. He got it. The last time I saw Grandaddy, I visited with Randy so he could meet my grandparents. Grandaddy talked a lot that day, and I am SO thankful he was able to meet my future husband while I heard stories of his faith. What a soldier for the Cross.
March has been filled with house buying, house selling, birthdays, friends, dinners, surgeries, late nights, early mornings, work chaos, church, beautiful weather, RAIN... and then some more RAIN, floods, new tires.... I think you get the point, that life is full. Most of it is really exciting fun stuff, so why do I fret and worry? In all of this, there seems to be so little time for me and God to reconnect. On my way to work this morning, I decided to turn the radio off and just sit in the quietness of my car and talk to Him. There was also a traffic jam, which would have normally frustrated me, but today I viewed it as an opportunity to spend more time to pray and bear my burdens. I couldn't find the words to express my frustrations and worries. I just asked God to "be." He asked me to "Be still." So I was quiet. No, I didn't hear any revelations or answers, but I needed a moment to soak up the presence of God. I tend to make excuses for my spiritual destitution. "Well, if I wasn't so busy I could make time for spiritual pursuit." "If I could just have less to worry about." "If I didn't have so much stress at work/life." "If I could go to the ladies conference at church." I ended up smacking myself in the forehead, when I realized those excuses are dumb and decided to turn it around a bit. "Because I am so busy." "Because I have things I worry about." "Because I have stress at work and in life." "Because I can't go to the ladies conference at church I need to make more time for spiritual pursuit." Duh... Right? Well I'm SLOW sometimes, leave me alone:)
Will life slow down now? No. In fact it will continue to speed by with more stress with the upcoming home showings, increased stress at work, summer sweat, wedding planning, moving.... you get the idea. But I am going to pursue more time for my priorities to be put in the right place, with my relationship with my Savior as most important, and the rest behind. Keep me accountable people. Because without Him, why do we pursue anything?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You write so beautifully!!! Thanks for sharing.

Although I am upset that your favorite part of being engaged wasn't asking ME to be your matron of honor. :<}

Unknown said...

Have you worked out the house selling, house buying? Life is good we just need to slow down and enjoy. Look forward to the marriage, not just the wedding--