Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Blessings Reminder

My friend Tara did this for Thanksgiving, and I thought it was a neat idea! So I'm stealing her idea and doing it for the Christmas season. (The picture has no relevance to my blog- I just thought it was funny and cute. I want one- you can guess which one I want... a dog or a baby:)
1. Think back over the fast 10 years. What are you the most grateful for during that time period?

Going to a Christian High School and Bible College- both challenged me to pursue the Lord and learn more about why I believe in Him. I'm grateful for God keeping me safe during some naive job moments that could have been scary. I'm blessed to own my home, have manageable debt, and have become an aunt to a wonderful little boy. I'm also very thankful that I have a precious relationship with my family- even though they are far away.
2. Now think back over the past year. What are you most grateful for during that time period?
I've grown a lot this year, vocationally, emotionally, spiritually. God has also placed me in a really wonderful church that FINALLY feels like home. I haven't had that since Ridgeview and I didn't realize how much I took that for granted.
3. Now what about the past week? What are you most grateful for?
Having such a wonderful family. I have the most loving, giving parents who will do anything to take my worry, frustration, hurt, and stress off of me.
4. The following verse says "O give thanks unto the Lord; for He is good; for His mercy endureth forever. 1 Chronicles 16:34. Name a way that God has been good to you lately.
He is ALWAYS here with me. He doesn't leave when the junk settles into my life. Even if I stupidly invite the junk into my life, He remains the same. He has given me strength to get through tough days at work, courage to fight temptation, a sweet church family to encourage me, and little blessings that remind me He walks with me.
5. Name 2 physical or monetary blessings you've received lately?
I had gallbladder surgery and panicked when the bills came in! Thankfully I have a father who allowed me to pay for a portion to save my pride, but then paid the remainder. I also inherited a piano from a missionary couple, and have been attempting to (but not very well) learn to play VERY simple songs.... we're talking Twinkle Twinkle people- no Mozart in these fingertips:)
6. Name 2 spiritual blessings you've received lately.
I have been attending a church for the last several months and it seems everything has fallen into place. I was swept up in a Sunday School class of ladies, who love, encourage, challenge, and support each other. Each time I walk through the doors I want to be involved, and I feel like a family member. The members have a genuine love for each other and for Christ. I grew up in a loving church, and since I moved away 4 years ago I've missed that, so I am very grateful to have a place I can worship and have a family.
7. How often do you give praise to God?
Not nearly enough! However recently I have been trying to thank Him for challenges or heartaches I have- instead of complaining to Him and praying for deliverance- and I have to say- it's not easy! Honestly I'd rather just whine about it.
8. Do you think God is pleased with how you praise Him?
I would like to think I can please the Lord in some way, but human nature creeps in so often I tend to think one complaint cancels out any praise I give. When I am sincerely humbled and thankful in difficult times, I feel He would be pleased with that, but those times are sadly few. This is certainly something that needs improvement.
9. Name someone that God has placed in your life to be a blessing to you.
There are so many people that encourage me! Of course I want to mention my parents and sister, because I talk to them so often (and they are patient to listen), but others who have been a blessing to me... My past Bible study leader Laurie is an amazing woman! She is always a listening ear, giving Godly advice, and she's just a sweet person. Peg, my friend's mother/family friend randomly emails me encouraging words at the most needed times. She has endured some of the most painful experiences possible, but yet she still has the love and strength to bestow on others unselfish care. I would never be able to tell her how much I appreciate her compassion. Another unexpected blessing comes from my work. She has been dealing with an illness for several years. She is a vibrant, funny, giving, entertaining, creative woman and is SO quick to listen to any pitiful whining I do. You would never know the pain and uncertainty life has presented her. When I feel life is getting too difficult I think of her and her strength and my problems seem a bit more manageable. Now that I think about it- the people that I look up to and consider significant blessings are all women who have gone through tremendous heartache and painful life experiences.
10. Now that you have reflected on how God has blessed you, choose a person this week(even during the busy holiday season) and be a blessing to that person.
Here are a few ideas:Send someone a card to encourage them.
Take someone a batch of cookies or fresh baked bread.
Make dinner for someone.
Visit a lonely or elderly person.
Send someone flowers just for the fun of it

No comments: