I am often a very selfish person. I don't mean to let my heart "go there" but I tend to get lost in moments of frustration, exhaustion, and annoyances of unimportant situations. I was reminded today of how blessed I am to have two healthy baby girls. Two girls that overcame a potentially very difficult beginning, but thrived and were able to come home quickly like any single,healthy, full-term, baby. Born at 34 weeks, this is not always the norm. I was witness to a miracle.
I happen to stumble upon a blog that was a great reminder of my blessing and how differently things could have been. This couple welcomed their son into the world, knowing that his life would be short. They spent the next 12 days beside his incubator in NICU, holding his hand, praying he'd make it through the multiple surgeries (they hoped would prolong, or save his life), and ultimately preparing for a memorial service no parent should have to plan. At the end of 12 sweet days with their gorgeous baby boy, they graciously allowed him to meet his Creator and gave glory to God for giving them 12 days more than they thought they would have. So many stories like this one. So many people I know have stories like this one. And all those people have relied on the Lord's amazing grace for peace and understanding. Understanding will probably never come until they meet the Lord, and I can imagine the heartache will always be there. As I read this couple's story, I wanted to rush home and hold both my babies tightly and thank God that they are here and healthy. This morning as I was getting ready for work, my oldest girl let out an alarming cry. I rushed in, because it wasn't a cry of a wet diaper or hunger. She was having a bad dream (who knew a 2 1/2 month old could dream). I scooped her up and she immediately settled down. I am privileged to be able to be the mother that makes bad dreams disappear, hunger pains go away, and provide comfort and security as they fall asleep. It's also quite a challenge and responsibility to have this title. I am still extremely tired, and I will probably be guilty of complaining more than once in the near future, but I am thankful that I have two sets of hands to hold, two cries to hear, and two sweet smiles to greet me.
"Take delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust in Him, and He will do this." Ps. 37:4-5
No comments:
Post a Comment