Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Special Hugs

I am a hugger! I understand some people need more personal space than others, but I am one who was raised in a family of huggers. I've just come back from a wonderful visit to my family in VA, and I always have fun experiences when I see my family, as well as getting lots of hugs. Due to mostly being surrounded by co-workers, gym buddies, and many non-hugger friends, I don't get many hugs living alone. My first hug I (usually) always get is one from my mom. What is it about receiving a mother's hug that seems to make all troubles fade away. I realize that many people do not know their mothers, do not have loving mothers, or are not close to their mothers... but I thankfully have a mother that reminds me of great memories and continues to exude encouragment and love. There is something about a mother/daughter relationship that is unique to any other and I always feel completly lost when we argue. My Mom is a very special person. The second hug I received was from my nephew John Parker. Although he was hesitant at first, he warmed up quickly and soon we were playing with his trains, dump trucks, and diggers (he's all boy, can you tell?). To watch him play, eat, sleep, take a bath, or just watch his favorite cartoon is a joy. He is precious when he takes your finger, says "Come Wawa" and leads you to whatever he sees to play with. His main world consists of his wonderful mommy and daddy, and his devoted grandparents. He is a very blessed little boy to have fun, loving grandparents on both sides of the family, as well as cute cousins, and caring aunts and an uncle- as well as various extended family, church family, and friends. We played Peek-a-Boo with his blanket, and each time I put it over my head to "hide" he would run over to me and hug my neck, saying "Wawa, hide" or "Wawa love." One time I even got kisses through the blanket- what a treat! I taught him what a seal sounded like, and even though to an observer I probably looked like a complete idiot slapping my hands together and making the "barking" sound... I got him to smile and that is worth more than anything. He is a good little hugger. My next hug was from my Dad. My Dad and I butt heads a lot. I think it's because we are complete opposites in many ways. I tend to throw all my emotions and issues into a conversation, which probably frustrates the bisnessman in him. I'm learning to talk more matter-of-factly, and he is learning to let me cry and then get to the point. A hug from my Dad means more to me now than ever. I never realized how much he does for our family, until I am now living on my own, away from the protection of Dad... and his guns. Instead of calling Dad when my car breaks down, it's AAA. Instead of calling Dad when the furnace goes out, it's the Utility Board. Instead of calling Dad when a huge hairy spider is in the shower (which happened recently, ugh), I get the hairspray and spray it to death. Little things, big things... I've taken him for granted for too many years. The next hug was from my sister. I know she will read this, so I have to say nice things:-) Just kidding. She and I would both admit that we did NOT get along growing up. She was the organized, talented, intelligent, horse-riding, book-reading, outgoing child, and I was the messy, had-to-work-hard for my grades, Barbie collecting, smart-mouth, play-with-my hair kinda girl. Not much in common except our DNA. However, over the last 5 years or so I've seen her transform into a beautiful woman, loving, patient wife (most of the time), and amazing mother. It took my maturing to see how blessed I am to have a sibling like her. She is kind, compassionate, wise, and fun! We didn't hug much growing up, so now we make up for it. I love her. She's not just my sister. She is my friend. I know she will give me the honest truth, and I know she will love me even if I screw up. I just wish growing up we hadn't fought about stealing clothes from each other's closets. We should have taken it as a compliment that we liked each other's stuff. If I could fit into her clothes now, I'd probably still raid it:-) Love you sister. Other special hugs were from church family, my longest friend Tara (and I guess I could include her soon-to-be baby Bailey) and Tara's awesome mom Peg, and from other special people who have invested so much into me the last 25 years. God bless the older folks who are confused and asked me if I was still away at college, and the little children I used to babysit, who aren't so little anymore. As much as I miss my home and family in VA, living away is beneficial. I would probably take them all for granted. It was a fun weekend! The best part is I get to go home again for Thanksgiving and do it all over... hugs and all!

4 comments:

The Tylers said...

That's so nice! You and Courtney should get together and write a book! I'll buy the first copy. :)

The Tylers said...

Haha, well, see, you're a good re-gifter, because I never would have known that! That outfit is ADORABLE and I LOVE it! What good taste you have. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, you did say nice things about me. :<} Awww...

And hairspraying a spider- never heard that one before. Hmmm.....

And that outfit- I actually have the same one in my "if I ever have a girl" box. Hahaha

Unknown said...

Come over here and give me a hug!!! We ARE huggers and back slappers, aren't we? Big Daddy is still adjusting~after 15 years!