Friday, December 5, 2008

So what exactly do you do?......

So What Exactly Do You Do?.....
Many of you do not know what I do. My job is tough, but very rewarding... most days. Sunrise Community is a non-profit organization that helps house, provide for, and support individuals with mental and physical disabilities. Most of our folks have been diagnosed with Mental Retardation, but some have Down Syndrome. A large majority also have behavioral issues and some physical ailments. I would love to say that all of the people we serve are sweet and loving, but it's reality that many are stubborn, cranky, and ill-tempered. I think that attitude was built from years of mistreatment and not being understood, so even when they try to bite me or throw something (both have happened), I still attempt to have compassion. You would be amazed at the stories of abuse they share. For many life has not been charming, but difficult. Nevertheless, we also have very sweet individuals who will give you a hug, offer encouraging words, and brighten your day with "I love you. You are my friend." That makes each painful, stressful moment worth it.
I am the coordinator for the Personal Assistance Program. I work with 9 families stretched from the border of TN/Kentucky to the TN/Alabama line. The ages are 11 to 55. It's fun. My families are wonderful, and I usually have a great time when I visit. I've been doing this for over 2 years now, and even though I get frustrated and discouraged, I am very blessed to do something worthwhile. It continues to baffle me when a co-worker asks me " So exactly what do you do?...." and I go into my lecture about the PA program and the people we serve. You see, the PA program is not exactly the golden child of Sunrise. More the red-headed stepchild, but I feel we do something good for the world. To thoroughly understand this idea, compare it to the show Survivor. On Survivor there are really obnoxious people that are cunning and manipulative- they either get voted off quickly or they make it to the end (ex. Richard Hatch). Then you have the strategic, athletic, strong leaders the competition usually focuses around. Again, they are either voted off early, or make it to the end on determination and strength. However, you have one more group of people that usually stay out of the limelight, are helpful, peace-makers, and usually never get voted off early. The show portrays them as the suckers, who do the work, cheer on their teammates, but persevere till the end. The PA program is like the latter group of people. If you don't watch Survivor- you are probably very confused... sorry. Anyway, this is a little of what I do. The next time you see someone shopping, at church, or out and about who just doesn't "look quite right" think of the sweet people I work with and send them an extra smile.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what do you have against redheads?

Anonymous said...

Aww that's a nice post. I'm glad I know what you do now. JUST KIDDING! I knew. Good thing, cause you totally lost me on the Survivor stuff.