Wednesday, April 7, 2010

"Hump-day" Hero

Happy Wednesday:) To help get us through the rest of the week, I want to acknowledge a "hero." I spent last weekend with my grandparents in Kentucky (which is one of the most beautiful places in the country), and because she is one of the most patience, gracious, and loving people I know I'm recognizing my sweet grandmother as a hero! She has 5 children (all pretty normal surprisingly), 10 grandchildren, and 7 great-grandchildren (+1 in a few months). I hope I didn't leave anyone out:) She's served in the navy during World War II, supported her husband in his many years of ministry, survived cancer, new hip, new knees, strokes, broken back.... OK I could keep going, but I know I'll leave out something important and then feel terrible about it. She is a godly example of Christ's love, an avid Kentucky Wildcats fan, sews beautiful clothing/curtains/etc..., has great talks and advice, and makes the BEST peanut butter bars in the world. She has always been the person I could go to in tears, smiles, or frustration and her response is always calm, wise, and understanding. She writes beautiful letters (all of which I save)- sometimes her words regard specific needs, others are of mundane nothingness- but both of which I delight in receiving. She has gorgeous white hair and a kind smile that I hope to also wear when I am 86. She slips her grandchildren/great-grandchildren cookies and $20's, but most importantly she and my grandfather are the foundation to this generation's love for the Lord. We are all more kind, hard-working, and generous because of the heritage they have left us. We are better because of their sacrifice and service.

No comments: