Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Baby Story...times TWO!





I realize that my babies are almost 2 months old, so I figure I should probably go ahead and write their birth story and give a little update:)  Last time I posted I was almost 33 weeks, and at the time I had no idea I would be having the girls just a few days later! A sweet friend of ours did our maternity pictures the Sunday before I went into the hospital, so I was glad that we were able to do those before I became bed-bound. Here is one of the pictures.. I had NO clue how ginormous I looked.  Eek, I couldn't imagine how much bigger I could have gotten!

I had been going to see my OB, Dr. Schroeder twice a week for about a month, because the protein count in my urine had been getting higher and higher, although my blood pressures had been normal, it was something he wanted to keep watch on.  So twice a week, I got to go for ultrasounds and see these precious little girls squirm and kick and hide from the camera.  I never was able to see any good face shots, so I had no idea what they would look like!  Monday the 11th, I went in for another routine check up and ultrasound after doing another 24hour urine sample, and I knew something was different, because usually I would have the test, get my blood pressure, and then go straight into the ultrasound.  At this appointment though, I did the test, got my blood pressure (which was slightly elevated) and the nurse told me to wait in another room. My doctor almost immediately came in, and said "so here's the deal...."  I knew this was not a good start to a conversation.  He proceeded to tell me that my protein level was like 6800 or something, which for a normal pregnant woman normal to high is 300.  So that combined with my higher than usual BP, he said that he was sending me over to a high risk OB right across from the Children's Hospital and they would be admitting me that night.  Of course I lost it, because I thought I still had like 2 more weeks at least to prepare, get work ready, and for my own sanity.  He also explained that since I was only 33 weeks, I was unable to deliver at my choice hospital, nor would he be able to deliver.  So I was very disappointed, but knew the Lord was in control. He also told me the likelihood of the babies surviving was great, but that they would most likely spend some time in the NICU, so it was great I would be in the hospital right across the street.  After our conversation, I checked out and went to get in my car.  When I left it was around 11am, and he said I had until 2pm to get checked in at the hospital. I got in my car and cried and then called my Mom, of course!  I filled her in and she reminded me that God knew and was in control.  I felt peaceful and knew that even though it didn't go the way I wanted, that it would all be OK and He would give me strength to face whatever came my way in the next days/weeks/months. I called Randy after Mom, and filled him in. At this point I was very calm, and he was more worried than I was.  He said he would meet me at our house so we could go to the hospital together.  I went to work for an hour to wrap somethings up and fill my bosses in. A few hours later, we got to the hospital, they ran blood work, did more ultrasounds, and got me admitted into my room.  Dr. Rousiss, came and said they would deliver on Friday the 15th at 33wks 6days.  We got set up in my room, and for the remainder of the week, that is where I stayed on bed rest.  Bed rest is another word for torture! I had ultrasounds each morning, but I also had to stay on monitors twice a day for at least a good hour.  Doesn't sound too bad, but I had two very stubborn little girls, who would kick at the monitor and wiggle away, so they had a hard time getting solid heartbeats. They had to have a solid hour of heartbeats, so that meant sometimes my very large pregnant self lying in a uncomfortable position, holding the monitors, trying to "follow" the heartbeat as they wiggled around, and sometimes for 2-3 hours.  That was the hardest part of the whole week.  It tested my patience and general physical strength and sanity. Randy and I also toured the NICU and had a consultation with the main Children's physician who would most likely be caring for the girls when they went to the NICU. He said to expect them to stay for 2-3 weeks.  It broke my heart imagining them in those incubators with tubes and oxygen keeping them alive for who knows how long.  It's funny now, but I just kept thinking of Michelle Dugger and how she was there with her baby every day for 4 months or so. I also kept reminding myself that these babies were the Lord's to begin with and I would just trust that He would take care of them. Anyway Dr. Rousiss came in Thursday and said he would like to wait one more day till I'm exactly 34 weeks, and he would deliver via C-section then. So one more day to wait....  Thankfully my Mom came in that day, and my Dad and sister the next. Having them there was such a blessing and relief!  Finally Saturday came and the began prepping me for surgery around 4am. God bless the nurses who do that job.  They were fantastic and helped calm my nerves.  No one really prepared me for what a C-section is, but it's no joke.  I kept just praying and asking God to calm me and give me peace.  After prep, they started the surgery, and I really don't remember pain, but just an odd pressure.  My mind was just praying that I would at least get to see them or hold their hand, and preparing for the worst, that I would only get to see them through the glass heated box in the NICU later that night. Kaylee was pulled out first at 6lbs even, they showed her to us.  She was just a tiny bundle of cheeks and round little legs.  She cried, and I remembered that was the best noise and I knew she would be OK.  I was most worried about Abby, because Kaylee had been very active all over my belly, but Abby had been very squished up under my lugs, and I never felt super strong movements like I did Kaylee.  They pulled Abby out just moments later, measuring 3lbs 14oz, and held her up.  She was quiet, but surprisingly alert. She was pretty close, so I held my hand out to her, and she grabbed my finger.  I cried, because I thought that would be the only time I'd be able to touch her for a while.  Rational or not, I just had it in my mind that I would not get to see or hold them for many days or weeks. The babies were taken out, and I was stitched/glued up and sent to recovery. The next few hours were awful, because I was extremely sick and could not come out of this dizzying fog that made me throw up every time I opened my eyes. My family said the babies were in the regular nursery and did great without any assistance. My God is GOOD!  That was such a relief, but I was so sick I couldn't totally wrap my mind around what that meant.  After a few hours, the nurse made the decision to get me to my room so I could see the babies.  They got me set up and after some of the medication (that we think made me sick) wore off I felt so much better!  I got to hold my girls at the same time, and it was a precious moment.  They did beautifully the next few days and we came home 3 days after birth.  Welcome to the world Kaylee and Abigail!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Proud auntie here to fill in more of the story:

First of all, Laura was a TROOPER. I was amazed at how well she handled the week of bed rest in the hospital. She was poked and checked and woken up at all hours of the day and night. Even though it was frustrating and uncomfortable, she was so focused on her baby girls and so strong in her faith. By the end of the week, the whole nursing staff adored her and I think they were almost sad to see her leave!

The morning of Kaylee and Abigail's birth was SO NERVE WRACKING! We all crowded into her pre-op room and waited and waited and waited. Apparently, doctors don't run on the same schedule as impatient aunts! Finally, almost two hours after we expected her to go back, the nurses wheeled her away to the OR.

They left nervous dad-to-be Randy with scrubs to put on. Bless his heart, between his nerves and his tall frame, he had the hardest time getting them on. A sweet nurse brought him another set and off he went!

Mom, Dad, and I went to the cafeteria to eat breakfast and wait some more. When we got back up to the waiting room, we weren't sure what to expect. Since the doctor had told Laura the babies would go to the NICU, we assumed they would be taken over as soon as they were born.

I had just asked Mom if someone was going to come get us when a fellow "waiter" (her granddaughter had just been born) came in and told us two babies had just been brought in to the nursery.

We RACED to the nursery window and saw the two most beautiful, sweet, precious babies lying on warming beds. The nurse held up two fingers and said "Twins?" We nodded and she pointed at them. It didn't matter- we knew they were ours. Even through that thick glass window, there was an unmistakable bond. I couldn't take my eyes off them. (Except to take a million pictures with my iPhone and text every single person I knew!)

We were still expecting them to be taken to the NICU, so we watched as the nurses took their measurements, checked their lungs, did their heel pricks, etc. At one point, the nurse held a small oxygen mask about 6 inches from Abby's face, but that was all.

Shortly after that, the nurses started bringing all the babies into the nursery for vital checks, so they closed the blinds. Since we couldn't stand there and gaze lovingly at our gorgeous girls, we reluctantly went to the waiting room.

Dad went back to the hotel, Mom went back to Laura's recovery room to be Mom, and I joined Randy in the waiting room. Some friends of theirs from church came, so that gave him a chance to relax.

Around 2pm, the nurses had opened the blinds in the nursery, so Randy and I, along with their wonderful friend Jean from church, took up our posts at the window. The babies looked perfect- they had put them in a bassinet together, all bundled up with little hats and bows GLUED to their heads. (Not a fan of that practice, but it WAS cute.)

The nurse told us Laura's room was ready and it was time for the babies to eat. She asked if Randy and I wanted to feed them! Well duh!! HOWEVER, as badly as I wanted to get my hands on those babies, I felt horribly guilty that I got to hold them and feed them before my poor sister did. She had a really hard time in recovery- we decided Demoral is NOT her friend.

The nurse met us at her new room with these beautiful, tiny, amazing, sweet, precious bundles of new baby. My heart was SO full. She gave us each a baby and a bottle and we fed them, just blown away by God's goodness. Randy was a little nervous by Abby's small size, so I fed her, which was special since Laura and Randy so sweetly gave her my middle name.

continued...

Anonymous said...

continued...

I've had times in my life when I've been so burdened I didn't know how to pray. This was the opposite- my heart was so full and so in love with Kaylee and Abigail, I could hardly put two thoughts together. All I could think was "Thank You Lord." I had prayed so hard that we would just get to SEE them. Not in my wildest dreams had I thought we would get to HOLD them just hours after their birth.

Laura had a wonderful nurse who knew the best thing for her recovery was to get her with her babies. They wheeled her in just as we'd finished feeding them. Even though I still felt guilty over holding them before she did, it was a sweet moment to "introduce" her to her daughters. The rest of the evening was still a little rough for her, but she perked up pretty quickly when she got to stare at those pretty faces.

February 16, 2013 was second only in happiness to January 30, 2007, the day my own son was born. I knew I would adore my nieces, but I wasn't prepared for the emotions I felt when I first saw them through that nursery window. I didn't know what kind of bond would immediately form. (I hope they felt it, too- I AM their favorite aunt, after all!)

I also have to say how utterly impressed I was with my little sister- she was AMAZING. Not only going through a high risk pregnancy with TWO babies crowing her insides, but the way she handled her extended hospital stay, and the way she's taken to being a mommy of two! I'm sure she and Randy would be happy with a little more sleep, but they're so grateful for these two, healthy blessings from God. Now if they would only move to Virginia...